Telling Your Value Story with Video
By Glenn Pereira, National Dealer Trainer, AutoTrader.com
Video is a compelling way to engage car shoppers and build interest in your inventory and dealership. Your goal is to influence potential customers to choose you.
Today, consumers are empowered by the latest technology and have even come to expect it. Studies show that watching an automotive online video:
- 63% of shoppers become more interested in a car1
- 62% of shoppers visited a car/truck dealership in person1
- 56% of shoppers searched a dealer's inventory online1
- 80% of car buyers cite online videos more important than comparison tools1
- 22% increase in Vehicle Details Page (VDP) views on AutoTrader.com2
What You Can Do
First, let’s talk about where you should be posting videos online. It’s not just about the video’s content, but the key is in the distribution of your videos. It doesn’t matter how good the video itself may be if it’s not being seen by car shoppers.
Vehicle shoppers expect to find videos on dealership sites, manufacturer sites, YouTube and third-party sites like AutoTrader.com. So it's critical for dealers to place video content wherever your potential customers are online.
There are plenty of inexpensive tools that you can use to create your own videos. Some tips:
- Do a complete video walk-around. Give shoppers a sense of what it would be like to drive and own the car.
- Keep videos to less than one minute. Shoppers often lose interest if a video is too long.
- State the facts. Include price but keep information objective to avoid a sales pitch.
- Include information that cannot be gained from photos. i.e., warranty, single owner, non-smoker, etc.
- Reinforce the retention of information. Show what you are talking about (i.e., show the odometer while talking about mileage).
Use Pan-and-Scan Video
Another option to consider is pan-and-scan video. Use vehicle photos to create a virtual “walk-around” video, narrated by a voiceover with a custom script.
Leverage Manufacturer Assets
Most OEMs have video assets available, so use them when the other two options simply won't work or in conjunction with a do-it-yourself or pan-and-scan video.
Merchandise Your Dealership in a Video, Too!
So far, we’ve only focused on videos about your inventory, but your online marketing is about much more than the vehicles you sell. You want to build trust and confidence among consumers in your DEALERSHIP. This information is as important -- if not moreso -- in getting car shoppers to CHOOSE YOU as their source for cars.
- Tell your story. Create a store video tour and highlight amenities and departments. You can even introduce employees. Show customers why you are a dealership they should do business with.
- Highlight amenities and customer testimonials. Build a strong image for your prospective customer.
- Include dealership information. Ensure your contact information, website address, map and directions are prominently displayed.
- Post your videos on a multitude of sites. Include user-generated sites like YouTube, your dealership site, third-party sites like AutoTrader.com, and anywhere else your inventory is listed.
1Source: eMarketer, "Auto Shopping Online: Web Tools Put Buyers in the Driver's Seat," July 2011
2Source: AutoTrader.com Site Statistics (Jan 2012-Mar 2012)
Glenn Pereira is a National Dealer Trainer for AutoTrader.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FEATURED VIDEO TUTORIAL
How to engage, influence and convert online new car shoppers into offline new car buyers.
What You Need to Know about Millennials & Why It Matters
An analysis of Millennial car shoppers & buyers to understand their car-shopping behavior.
VinSolutions™ Announces Acquisition of Haystak Digital Marketing
Haystak will continue to operate under own brand, ... read more.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Do You Really Know What Your Customers Are Saying about You?
Word-of-mouth has gone viral and so has your ... read more.